MGB ponderings

Subject: MGB ponderings
From: rck@fangio.asd.sgi.com (Robert Keller)
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 92 20:17:51 PDT
Well, there was a lull in my day after a work-sponsored day
at malibu grand-prix.  A co-worker and I got to thinking
about what we could do with the '72 MGB bodyshell in my garage.

The MGB is complete except for the engine and transmission which
were used in constructing Scott Fisher's EP MGB race car.  The
bodyshell has not rust at all (really!) and only a few dents.

Our most outrageous idea so far is to convert it into a diy
$45 000 sports car/autocrossing monster.  That's right, we could
add an Aluminium V8 of some description along with a robust
transmission and thumb our noses at British "Phlegmsucking"
Leyland's latest error in judgement.

Does anyone have any information regarding this kind of conversion?

What kind of engines would be best?
    Buick/Rover V8?
    RX7 engine?
    something smaller?

How would the CA DMV appreciate this kind of activity?

Or should I just try to sell the bodyshell?
    Anyone interested?

...robert