Re: Austin Asparagus, er America, er 1300 (er MG)

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Re: Austin Asparagus, er America, er 1300 (er MG)
From: jeffreys_m_j@bt-web.bt.co.uk
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1992 11:14:24 +0100
From:   NAME: Mike Jeffreys         [DAT31 ]
        FUNC: DAT31
        TEL: 0473-645609                      <JEFFREYS M J AT WEB AT WEBCS>
To:     british-cars@hoosier.utah.edu@unet

My first car was an Austin 1100 (America), dark green, and of 1965 vintage.
I believe it was one of the first automatics. I used the beast for only 1
year (at Uni) before it expired (rust). I bought it for 70 pounds and sold
it for scrap (25 pounds). I have to say that the combination of crossply
tyres and fully independent suspension made this car very easy to drive
around narrow country lanes, whereby safe and progressive 4 wheel drifts
were the order of the day. My TR7 probably holds the road better, but it is
not progressive. Is this the problem of radial verses cross (bias?) ply
tyres?
The automatic gearbox was also a good feature and it allowed you to
use it like a clutchless gearbox on all 4 forward gears. The best of the
1100 shape was the MG, with lowered suspension, 1275 A series engine and
twin carbs. These cars were fast (about 100mph) and comfortable
(hydroelastic/intergalactic independent suspension). The 1100 series was
the UK's best seller for many years until it was replaced by the Allegro
(agro), which sold like the pig it resembled.