More TR4 transmission/clutch/suspension questions

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: More TR4 transmission/clutch/suspension questions
From: gfd@akguc.att.com
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 92 09:18 EDT
PLEASE......HELP.....TOO LEAN Z-S 175's

After fiddling with my '74 TR6 carbs last night, trying to insure
transportation to work, I am soliciting any and all suggestions
before I convert to an all-electric, battery-powered LBC and use
my Z-S carbs for bookends.

The carbs have always had the needles fully retracted (rich) into
the barrel since I purchased the car about one year ago.  The car
ran pretty well with a good mixture judged by its performance and
the lift-the-piston 1/4" mixture check.

Then, disobeying all laws of common sense, I decided to rebuild
the carbs "just for the heck of it".  The phrase "If it ain't
broke don't fix it" somehow moved to a defective sector in my
left cerebral hemisphere.

Anyway, the rebuild went fine.  I have done several Z-S and SU
carbs in the past. But, when balancing and setting the idle I
found that the carbs were just too lean.  Since the needles were
fully retracted I had no room for making it any leaner.  I
checked all of the hoses for an air leak but didn't find
anything.

I ended last evening by putting duct tape over 50% of the air
filter intake.

The car runs as smooth as silk as is, but somehow I think I must
be cutting my power significantly....besides I don't like the
look of the tape.

Specifically:

1. Can I move the needles beyond the vernier adjustment?

2. Is there any thing to fiddle with in the temp compensator on
the side of the carb?

3. Can I get richer needles for the Z-S 175's, and how do you
replace them?

4. Is there anything to be gained by stiffening the piston
springs, the long slinky ones?

Any advice on my problem is appreciated.  Until then I guess its
duct tape.

P.S.  I want to thank Bill Sohl for leading me to that TR3 in
Kentucky. The disassembly and restoration is underway.

P.P.S  Good thing I read my mail before I sent this file....can't
wait to get home and tinker with my temperature compensators...

     George DeVeau
     Atlanta, GA
     404 447 2734 Days