Re: Painting

To: bobj@meaddata.com, british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Re: Painting
From: djd@aurora.arc.nasa.gov (Daniel J. Dasaro)
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 92 12:38:53 -0800
bobj@meaddata.com (Robert Jones) writes:

>I've been looking into getting my MGB painted, either painting it myself
>or having it done professionally.  Today at lunch I went to a local
>car paint supplier and found a color I like.  The guy there is trying
>to sell me Chromabase, a urethane base coat/clear coat process.  I
>mentioned that I had heard beginners should use acrylic lacquer and
>that urethane was dangerous.  He claimed that this stuff was as easy to
>use as lacquer because it was sandable and the base coat goes on just like
>lacquer.  He also said that they are both equally bad for you.

I'm having my car done in a urethane base/clear, which I've heard is
easier to spray than enamel.  There's a brand called Nason that's very
inexpensive, they were just bought by DuPont and maybe DuPont wants to
get the stuff recognized (or maybe it's just cheap paint).  Part of the
savings is in the ratio of paint/catalyst (or is it paint/clearcoat).
Nason runs at 4:1 vs. 1:1 for other urethanes.  At $60 or more per
gallon of catalyst, you save a lot using 1 quart instead of a gallon.

Next month I'll have more info on how the stuff actually sprays and
looks.

-Danny