High oil pressure (non-LBC WARNING!)

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: High oil pressure (non-LBC WARNING!)
From: Cory Carpenter <coryc@sequent.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 92 07:18:25 -0700
       === DANGER -- NON-LBC CONTENT === DANGER -- NON-LBC CONTENT ===

Sorry to do this, but does anyone know what the correct oil pressure for
a VW Rabbit should be?  My '76 is running well over 100 psi when cold!

When it warms up, the pressure gradually drops to around 50 psi, which
seems way more reasonable.  This wouldn't be giving me nightmares,
except that I was foolish enough to install an aftermarket gauge:  I
paralleled it in with the "idiot light" sender by using a tee fitting,
so maybe this location is part of a cold-start bypass in the oil
circuit??

This car is a '76 non-fuel-injected California car (with enough vacuum
hose snaking around the engine compartment to replace the ones on both the
other cars about six times over).

Any comments or suggestions are welcome!

-coryc

PS: An attempt at redemption for non-British content --  I heard yesterday
that Benny Hill died.  :-(

"What is *this* thing called luv?"
"No, no, no!  It's 'what is this thing called *love*!'"