Re: British Car Parts Anonymous?

To: sol@hoosier, porschephiles@karazm.math.uh.edu
Subject: Re: British Car Parts Anonymous?
From: montnaro@ausable.crd.ge.com (Skip Montanaro)
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 92 21:44:36 EDT

In British Cars Digest #435, Shel Hall writes:

    Even loving them as much as I do, I haven't owned a Britcar since I sold
    my last Bugeye in '68.

    BUT I STILL HAVE THE DAM' PARTS!

    For 24 years, I've been moving a couple of boxes of Britcar parts
    around with me, saving them against the day when I'd have another.

The syndrome doesn't afflict just former British car owners. I used to be up
to my elbows in old Porsches (mostly 356s). I haven't had anything for a few
years, but I still have an old Fuhrman cam (from a roller-crank 1500S), a
pre-A diaphragm clutch out of a Carrera, one Koni shock (front, from a '55
Speedster), and at least part of a 911 tool kit from a '67 S. I'm sure if I
dug around I'd find a few other odds'n'ends. Oh yes, a Tweeks 356A front
fender brace and a bunch of books... I cart 'em around from house to house,
just like Shel Hall relates.

I rarely even consider buying an old Porsche anymore, what with the
stratospheric prices. (I can still find the odd early 911 or 912 coupe,
usually overpriced, but forget any 356 ragtop.) These old parts are likely
to be my only connection to a once fun hobby, pretty much destroyed by
speculators.

At least I can still afford to subscribe to the Porsche and British car
mailing lists. The price hasn't gone up on them yet.

Skip (montanaro@crd.ge.com)