Trunions, hubs and icky bits

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Trunions, hubs and icky bits
From: Ben Hodson <hodsonb@prl.philips.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 92 07:48:34 GMT
Hi,

Well the dreaded MOT came around, my Spitfire was just starting
to revel in the slightly better weather and then da da da MOT
testing time came up.  Well the emmisions were tuned down to 2%
carbon monoxide and 230 ppm hydrocarbons so all looked hunky
dorey.

Saturday came and I dropped the car in spent an hour thinking
it will pass, no it wont, yes it will - it didnt...

The off side trunion needs replacing along with a bit of welding
on the chassis ( the trunion I suspected but not the chassis)

This leads me to my question. In the Haynes manuel it indicates
that I have to take the whole hub to bits just to get to the
trunion. Is this true. It sure looks like I can just undo some
bolts and then unscrew the old trunion and screw on the new one ?
Is this the case ? Anybody got any pointers ?

On a different note has anybody got anything (good or bad) to
say about the Jenson Healy convertible. (Apart from the fact
it has a 16 valve Lotus engine, viva suspension and I think
a Chysler gearbox) good or bad I am curious.

Anyway thanks for the words of wisdom.

                Ben Hodson (hodsonb@prl.philips.co.uk)

        Heres to sunny days and sports cars !!