Still waiting

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Still waiting
From: Timothy Lyle Smith <tsmith@plains.NoDak.edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1992 14:44:50 -0500
  Have to try the other address as I'm still waiting for a call to
  tell me when to head out for the job.  So my cars all ready, execpt
  for washing, to go with nowhere to go yet.  Greased the front wheels
  and changed 1 front tire.  Found out my rough steering was from tread
  seperation and not poor balancing.  Now I find that my average speed
  has increased since the rumble no longer occurs at 55 mph.  Replacing
  the tire was tough, I needed a Michelin XZX 165 SR 14.  Nobody had
  any tires with a 165 profile.  A 175 was even hard to find.  Finally
  ordered one in from Minneapolis.

  I put an oil cooler in but I didn't want to spoil the air flow through
  the radiator as the job I have for the summer envolves much driving.
  So I put it underneath the front shelf.  The car is a MGBGT '74.  This
  involved cutting 2 holes in the top deck, the bottom deck already has
  2 holes of the proper size and placement.  The cooler is bolted to 2
  4.5 inch pieces of bar stock which are fitted through the holes in the
  lower deck.  Hose attachment with the 90 degree tubing on the hoses was
  not possible so I took the 45 degree fittings from 2 old hoses and clamped
  them to new hoses.  Unfortunatly the old hoses were not long enough to reach
  so I used single braid hydraulic hose instead.  Now to get enough air flow
  to the cooler I had to cut the center portion of the valance out.  The
  valance already has 2 holes in it, this made 1 hole out of the 2.  Shrouding
  was then constructed to funnel the air to the cooler.  Since the oil cooler
  was being shrouded I did the radiator at the same time.  After all this
  the only difference I noticed was about 15# more oil pressure after the
  oil should have been hot and a slight decrease in water temperature.
  The oil pressure may be the difference between old and new oil, or going
  from 20w50 to straight 60 weight.  You might wonder why the heavy oil,
  it gets very hot up here during the summer.  I'll switch back when it
  gets colder.  Also with the 20w50 I had a 4 sec wait for oil pressure,
  now I don't wait.

  Another difference with the shrouding is the interior of the car is quieter.
  Don't know why.

  I won't be here for the summer so I'm getting off the list.  It's been fun
  reading here.  Have fun!

       Tim