Re: Pour Your Own suspension bushings

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Re: Pour Your Own suspension bushings
From: phile@pwcs.StPaul.GOV (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 92 9:06:52 CDT
Roland Dudley scribed >

> The A-arms are another marvel.  They are also dry with poured babbitt
> bearings...   Surely I'm not the only Brit car owner with this problem?

Roger Garnett answered +

+ would oilite be another
+ possibility? pretty easy to install, bore out the hole, and machine some
+ bushings to fit. These would be lubed by oil, not grease. Babbit is
+ probably more sacrificial tho.

Performance Engineering in Oregon sells trick suspension bushings for MGBs and
the like which are made of some stuff called "Carsan(?)".  They are supposed to
combine the best features of Nylon, Delrin, Polyurethane, Teflon etc. It is
supposed to last well and be self-lubricating.  Stuff ain't free, though, they
charge about $150 for a pre-machined set for the front of a B.  Anyway, It
might be worth it in the long run to machine the arms and machine some of this
stuff into bushings.  If no one here knows what it is, maybe you can buy blanks
from Performance Engineering

Performance Engineering
3831 Main Street
Springfield, OR   97477
(503) 746-9714

They also supply lever shocks with gas inserts.  Don't ask me how that works.

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans Street, Saint Paul, MN  55107-2676
h (612) 224-3105     lotus@pnet51.orb.mn.org
w (612) 298-5324     phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov  (list goes here)
"The workingman's GT-40" - Anthony Colin Bruce Chapman