painting alloy wheels (today's summary)

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: painting alloy wheels (today's summary)
From: jtc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (James A. TenCate)
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 92 22:19:19 -0500
WOW!  Thanks for all the responses.  As promised, here's stuff you
haven't read about painting alloy wheels.  Sorry if anyone has written
to me recently and I haven't read your stuff...

I also realized I shouldn't have shipped off my "summary" so
quickly yesterday.  Here's a sampling of what people suggested.

GETTING OLD PAINT OFF
(1)  Most everyone suggested bead blasting.  Beads ought to be
available at any machine shop/supply place.  Someone also noted
that beads are quite a bit more expensive than sand (unless your
sandblasting set up "recyles" the medium).
(2)  "Spray & Strip" -- a chemical stripper.  "A friend just used
some on his Aluminium March tub, and was happy. It's even
supposed to work on "factory" fibreglass.  I've seen it demo'd --
looks much easier than other strippers."
(3)  No one responded to my question about using sugar instead of
sand.  Guess no one's heard of sugar-blasting before.

PAINTING WHEELS
(1)  Check out the local body shop.  They've got everything and
it shouldn't be THAT expensive if the wheels are already cleaned
up.  NOTE:  Actually, I've checked with three reputable/reasonable
places now.  Not one of them said they'd do it for less than $75
a wheel (and that's assuming the wheel's already been bead
blasted clean)!  Whew.  All of them also pretty much said "Epoxy
primer is a MUST if you want the paint to stick right."
Gee, now I realize why all of you are such experts at painting!
The body shops are just too pricey!
(2)  "Air brush will shoot any and all automotive paints."
I may just do that.

You've all read the other suggestions.  I'll let all of
you know what I end up doing :-)  Thanks again.

jim