Re: "Spray & Strip" & fibreglass

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu, phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov
Subject: Re: "Spray & Strip" & fibreglass
From: william sadler <wsadler@copper.ucs.indiana.edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1992 15:51:59 -0500
Phil asks about taking the paint off of gelcoat.  Funny thing because
I asked a similar question on rec.boats about a 505 I am restoring
(which is the real reason I purhased the compressor-- I need the sander).

Someone has told me that there are marine application paint strippers
that do not work as harshly and can be used over gelcoat.  These are
usually methelyne chloride strippers.  If you use a soft scraper and
only do a litle at a time it will supposedly not take the gelcoat off.
The gelcoat will soften, but will harden when allowed to dry after the
stripper is removed.

This months YOUR CLASSIC magazine has pictures of a guy removing
paint from a TVR w/ a fibreglass body.  They mentioned a specific
product called Nitromores, but I don't know if that is available
stateside.

BTW, a friend of mine who works in my office collects/collected
car "slicks."   He gave me one for an MGC/GT from 1969 which is
just incredible!  There are all sorts of pictures and data on the
car I have never seen anywhere else.  He is going to bring in
his other b-c pamphlets for me to peruse.  Really neat stuff.  The MGC/GT
is pictured with a guy in scuba gear and a women in a green bathing
suit with really funky 1969 sunglasses.  Too cool.

Will

c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c
c  _    _   ___    ___           Ceeasaurus!                      c
c | \  / | /   \  /   \  Will    | wsadler@copper.ucs.indiana.edu c
c |  \/  ||   __ |       Sadler  | or will@cica.indiana.edu       c
c |      | \___/  \___/       Bloomington, Indiana                c
c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c