Re: Cobra Ramblings

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cobra Ramblings
From: robbp@healey_haven.esd.sgi.com (Robb Pryor)
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1992 15:05:41 -0700
On Jun 14, 11:08am, Roland Dudley wrote:
> Subject: Re: Cobra Ramblings (fwd)
> > From: Bob Spidell <spidell@hpcc01.corp.hp.com>
> > Subject: Cobra Ramblings (fwd)
> > >
> > >The article also said something like "...it [the car he developed]
> > >could easily have been a Cheverolet powered Aston, given Shelby's
> >                                              ^^^^^
> > I believe that should be Austin, as in Austin-Healey.  Shelby approached
> > Donald Healey about using the A-H chassis for his Cobra, but stuffed-shirt
> > Austin wouldn't allow it.  Stuff a 289 or 327 into a Big Healey chassis
> > and you get a "Poor Man's Cobra."

While Shelby did approach DMH about possibly using the A-H chassis for his car,
he had lots of connections throughout the industry as a result of his racing.
In addition to having raced A-H 100s in Mexico for DMH, he also raced Astons (I
think it might have even been for the factory team) about the same time.

> I've seen a few Healeys with 289s but don't recall ever seeing one with
> 327s though I'm sure some exist.  I believe the reason for this is that
> the 289 "fit" is much easier.

As it was explained to me; the reason for this is that the 289 is a 60-degree
V-8 where as the 327 is a 90-degree V-8.  The 289 is narrower.  This is
important because when you try to stuff it info the Healey engine bay, it ends
up sitting very far back, up close to the firewall.  The valve covers just
barely fit between the footwells of the Healey chassis.  The footwells can be
cut to fit the 327 but it starts getting real messy.

--
Robb Pryor                      E-mail:robbp@healey_haven.esd.sgi.com
VLSI Group, ESD                 Voice: (415)390-1230