Re: Repro Parts

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Repro Parts
From: mrmike@michelotti.ae.ge.com ("Mr. Mike" Passaretti)
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 92 21:47:48 EDT
# In message <92Jun16.121611pdt.55944@egeus.parc.xerox.com>,
# "Chris Kent Kantarjiev" <cak@parc.xerox.com> writes:

cak> We've been 'round this before, methinks. I have exactly
cak> the same experience with Moss vs TRF as TeriAnn and John,
cak> and VickyBrit is MUCH MUCH worse.

cak> It seems to be particularly bad with trim and interior
cak> pieces -- parts come from Moss with predrilled holes in
cak> obviously the wrong places, for example. Recently I
cak> ordered the trunk casing panel for the 4A from Moss (this
cak> is the vertical piece that goes in the boot to hide the
cak> gas tank). This part hadn't been available for quite a
cak> while, so I was pleased when Moss started listing them at
cak> a good price. Unfortunately, all but two of the
cak> predrilled holes were in the wrong place... this just
cak> can't be that hard, and I can't believe that there was
cak> much variation in the original manufacture. It's just a
cak> quality control problem.

I stuck two brand new repro parking lamps on the 4 last night,
and noticed something about them.  The old lamps had the loop
for the ground wire and springy-thing made of something that
wouldn't warp under the (small) amount of pressure that
shoving the ground wire in would cause.  Not so the repros.  I
spent about a half hour dicky-birding about with each one.
The "shades" for the bulbs blocked the holes for the screws
too.  It's just bad QC, as you said.  It's a real shame.

                                                        - MM

--
passaretti@crd.ge.com                     {whatever}!crdgw1!brahe!passaret
mrmike@fasun0.ae.ge.com         {whatever}!crdgw1!copernicus!fasun0!mrmike