re: TR7 Advice

To: lindell@BRL.MIL
Subject: re: TR7 Advice
From: whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 18 Jun 1992 9:20 EDT
>I plan on inspecting the following two cars this weekend and could use
>some advice on the TR7.
>
>- 1980, convertible, 60k miles, original paint, new top, new brakes,
>  tires, and rear suspension  $2,775
>
>- 1979 convertible, new top and paint, rust free, 5spd, air conditioning,
>  garage kept, $3,800
>
>Questions:
>
>What condition (on the SOL scale) should these cars be in for the prices?
>
>What positive and negative attributes, specific to the TR7, should I look for?
>
>Thanks for your help
>
>Cheers,
>Dennis
>
>lindell@brl.mil

At the minimum, given those porices, both cars should have everything
working properly and require no major new work.  Even as an avid
Triumph enthusiast, I must admit that the TR-7 (including the
convertible even) doesn't command the same prices that the TR-3,
and TR-6 does.  So, on the car with A/C, I'd certainly expect that to
be working fine, if not, it can be a major expense to repair (even
if you do the replacement of the components yourself).  The tops
should be in very good condition and capable of lasting several more
years, interior shouldn't have any tears, rips, etc.

Things to be especially wary of is the engine.  It is often
neglected and can be a source of problems.  Typical problem
is a blown head gasket.

You might ask why the second car was repainted.  Was it in an
accident, etc?

Well, hope this helps a bit.  If, after seeing the two cars, you have
more specific questions about each, don't hesitate to ask.  You
can call me at home also (sunday evening after 8 pm would be best).
My home # is 201-691-8116.  I live in NJ, so that's 8pm EST.

Good luck on your search and I hope, if you buy one of the 7s, you
join Vintage Triumph Register if you are not already a member.
Bill

Bill Sohl (K2UNK) BELLCORE (Bell Communications Research, Inc.)
Morristown, NJ             email via UUCP      bcr!dancer!whs70
201-829-2879 Weekdays      email via Internet  whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com