re: TR-3 Radiator removal.

To: bownes@pluto.crd.ge.com
Subject: re: TR-3 Radiator removal.
From: whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 22 Jun 1992 13:18 EDT
>       I spent Sunday afternoon helpng a freind (Rik) remove the radiator
>from his smallmouth TR-6. What a pain in the butt! Start by removing the front

Gee, never saw a smallmouth TR-6 before....

>apron. Which of course means removing the headlights since all the captive
>nuts turn...Feh!
>
>       But by far and away the most difficult part was in removing the two
>bolts
>that hold the radiator to the frame. There seems to be no access to them from
>below
>save for a really bad angle with a universal. The lower frame crossmember
>effectivly
>blocks access from any other angle, and there is not enough room to get any
>type
>of wench in there. How is one supposed to get these two suckers out? I'm
>almost

First, my wife would never let me use any wenches, maybe that was part
of the problem, however, on the chance it wasn't I proceed...

If the radiator is properly fitted (no one changed the original
mounting process) then the two lower bolts hold the bottom
of the radiator in place as mentioned.  Those two bolts go into
nuts that are welded in place.  Once the front apron is off, they should
be accessible from above.  I usually stick several 3/8 extensions
together and end up with the ratchet being above the radiator.  Since
the nuts are (or should be) welded in place, there's no need for any
wenching (oops) wrenching from below.