Re: MGB Transmission question

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu, kendall@gallium.chey.com
Subject: Re: MGB Transmission question
From: Teriann J. Wakeman <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 92 08:12:11 -0700
Kendall,
You might just take it to a place that rebuilds MG transmissions and pay the
money to have them go through it and reseal it.

I recently purchased an MGB overdrive transmission.  Taking off the side cover,
it looked pertty good.  Some things came up on the weekend I had scheduled to
replace the transmission and though I go the engine in transmission out,
I was not able to get the new one in.  Over the next few days, I found
myself wondering how I would feel if I put the transmission in and it had
problems.  I took it to the current incarnation of East 14th Street, and had
them go through it ($250+ parts= $320)  They replaced two of the syncros that
looked good to me from the side cover view,and the layshaft.  The overdrive
did not pump up pressure.  They found that evidently someone had taken it
appart (not me) and put in a part backwards.  Also a solinoid was bad.
So its back together with new seals & working like a champ.

It looked newish from the side cover view.  Am I glad I took it in to have it
disassembled and checked part by part!!!

TeriAnn