Valve timing on 1500 midget

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Valve timing on 1500 midget
From: Dean_Zywicki%NIHDCRT.BITNET@CU.NIH.GOV
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 92 11:57:01 EDT
|Date: 6-25-92  11:56am
|From: Dean Zywicki:dcrt:nih
|  To: {british-cars@autox.team.net}:INTERNET
|Subj: Valve timing on 1500 midget
   I put the head and rocker assembly back on my engine last night and I
was trying to set the timing.  I thought I knew where the sprocket was
supposed to go on the cam, but I confused myself.  I set it up so that
while #1 piston was at TDC, the intake valve would start opening as soon
as the crank/cam turned (counter clockwise right ?).  Something didn't
seem right, then again it was late and I was tired.  I know this has
been covered before, but a QUICK refresher would be helpful.
    I bought one of those disposable painting system things which was
talked here a few weeks ago.  The only one I've seen is the Preval Power
Unit painting system.  It has an 8 oz. jar with a screw-on tube at the
top of the jar.  It works just like a spray can, until it tilts more
than 45 degrees and paint gets in the vent! (then you get small blobs of
paint instead of a mist).  I decided to try painting my engine
compartment with it.  I really didn't want to mess with a compressor and
al the related hazards of paint getting everywhere.  With the Preval, I
put on a real light layer first and then keep putting light layers on.
It's slow, but I also take a lot of breaks (the tendons of the index
finger on my right hand really hurt after all the spraying I've done
lately).
    Overall I'd give a good review (cheap too, $3.50 for the initial set-
up, $3.00 for replacement power-units).  Each power-unit sprays 16 oz.
of paint.  Some horizontal flat parts are hard to do since it can't be
tilted more than 45 degrees.

     Dean "can't wait to tool around in my midget"