RE:Tire Sizes again

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE:Tire Sizes again
From: rbt%dracut@keps.kodak.com (Bob Tufts)
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 92 18:00:48 EDT
At LOG XII a friend (who owns a Europa), myself, and a few others were observing
some of the hideously wide tires on the Europas that were auto-Xing.
The concensus was that the Europa being such a light car that this was overkill
and owners did it more for "macho appearance" than any practical value.
I believe a 175/70 was more than enough tire (especially with sticky Yoko's)
and would not suffer bump-steer effects on the street and it would also ride
as designed. Not owning a Europa, I can't confirm this, but it makes sense.
I can also imagine that wide tires could also make the "quick/nimble/light"
steering on the Europa get heavy at slower speeds, even though it's such a
light car (I know my Esprit steering is heavy at parking lot speeds, but
feels fine once underway).

-Bob T.