Riley progress, or 9 days to go -

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Riley progress, or 9 days to go -
From: "Daren Stone, D2 Mfg. Engr. C5/6, 5-9521" <DSTONE@SC9.intel.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 92 07:20:49 PDT
          Last night I braved dipping into the Riley's
     engine compartment to extract the leaky water pump.
     With the Palo Alto meet only 9 days off I compiled a
     mental list of TTD (things to do) for both the Riley &
     the Sprite, with H2o pump at the top of the list.
          First trouble was just getting at it. The Riley
     has a "butterfly" style opening bonnet(s), which look
     very classic, but makes engine work akin to retrieving a
     letter after you've tossed it into the mailbox.
     Nevertheless I attacked it, and succeeded in removing
     various preheater tubes, sliding bypass thermostats,
     boom vangs, velmar articulators, etc, before running
     out of light, time, interest. Two things I did note
     with a bit of concern tho, were a buildup inside the
     thermostat housing that reminded me of some undersea
     growth you'd find on a coral reef, and a very out of
     place looking fitting jutting off of the top tube that
     connects the thermo housing to the pump itself. On
     closer inspection it was determined that this was added
     by a POWAW (previous owner wielding a welder), looks
     like it used to be part of a grease gun, and it
     disappears into the firewall, presumably to a heater
     box. It was only much later on that I began to wonder
     where and how the PO had tied in the return hose.
     Hmmmmm.
          I'll keep you posted of the progress-

                                   dstone@sc9.intel.com