2tone, sway bars, tires, backfiring

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: 2tone, sway bars, tires, backfiring
From: Gregory T Fieldson <fieldson@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1992 20:07:09 -0400
Not having invented anything really *special* I should amend/repair my
earlier tag to "custom two-tone pop up headlamp housings". Matching paint
colors at Trak Auto is a bit rough (for Carmine lbcs).  I imagine that
yellow/white lamps could be made (for the French, no doubt, although I
read that they have dropped the yellow lamps requirement).

The TR7 is now shod in Dunlop D60 A2s, shimmy is significantly reduced,
almost but not completely gone. (Arrgh).  I haven't decided if the car
has more body roll now, or if it simply holds better, allowing the car
to lean more before breaking away.  The rotors are definite problem.

Late comment - A week back or so, someone (forgive my inability to connect
people to their messages, I'm new about here...) was commenting on problems
with keeping the bushings in their sway bar in place.  If this is a problem
still, couldn't they be held in check by placing clamps on either side?
I am thinking of the split, C-shaped clamps that screw together, or a
single split ring which slips down the sway bar and tightens down with
a bolt. A more accurate name for these, of course, escapes me.  I mention
this, because I have just replaced the bushings on my TR7, and the sway
bar had split ring type stops on the inside of the subframe bushings.

And is there an *elegant* way to compress sway bars to get them back
into the end fittings?  I had a good old time :-), finally levering the
thing back in with a 2x3.

Question:  My TR7 backfires (splats, burps, whatever) heavily during
engine braking, and usually once on up-shifts.  Aside from not having a real
exhaust system installed, what have I done wrong with the carbs?
The car has the standard Zenith/Stromberg dual (Federal Regs) set up.
I haven't checked the fuel mixture (I have a Colortune plug), but
I am pretty sure the flow is balanced.  Also I have been unable to get
the timing set right, because I can't move the distributor any further
around (I believe I am 3-5 degrees off, not advanced enough I *think*,
but don't have the manual or notes from when I checked this...).  Would
changing the oil in the carburettor dashpots help?

It rained much this weekend, :(, and my outdoor car has very very leaky
door seals and a leaky windscreen.  Oh bliss, my lbc.

Greg
fieldson@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu             Dept of Chemical Engineering
"When my Spitfire grows up, it's        The Johns Hopkins University
going to be a big Healey!"              Baltimore, Maryland  21218