Holiday experience and technical probs.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Holiday experience and technical probs.
From: paulg@cme.nist.gov (Paul Gilders)
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 92 09:51:46 EDT
Hi folks,

        Well I just thought I relate an experience I had about 3 weeks ago,
whilst
touring around the States with an airpass. I know it's a bit embarrassing
touring
with an airpass when you've got an LBC, but I purchased this ticket about 8
months
ago - before I bought my MGB over here in the US.

        Anyway, my second port of call on my tour was to Jackson Hole in
Wyoming -
beautiful scenery of the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone to the north. Anyway, I
was
unable to hire a car, so decided to do the tour on a pushbike - hiring a
suitable
mountain bike for 5 days to see Yellowstone. Anyway, on my fourth day I was
required
to ascend Craig Pass - no mean feat when you are loaded up with heavy camping
gear.
Halfway up the slope I was caught in a pretty nasty thunderstorm, which put me
beneath the conifers for about 45 minutes. After the wait and a slight easing
of the
rain, I decided to proceed to the top - it was complete hell and I was feeling
really
depressed until I was passed by a MG TD who hooted and waved. The driver
couldn't
have known I was a complete MG/LBC nut - but it certainly did perk up my
spirits.
I was only slightly disappointed that I couldn't keep up with him and have a
chat.

        Anyway, the following day I was cycling from Yellowstone down to Jenny
Lake,
when I was passed by yet another MG TD in the opposite direction and then
another and
then another......... Anyway, it was like a flashback into the past - the
majority of
the MGs were T series. I was going wild with envy and started waving at every
MG that
passed. It was only when I stopped to talk to a couple of parked MG TAs that I
found
out it was a national West Coast MG meet at Jackson. Wow, what timing and
foresight
on my part!

        Anyway, it was a fantastic day - the whole area absolutely littered
with MGs.
I almost forgot about the excruciating pain being experienced by my backside.
So if
anyone from the net was out there and saw a strange guy waving madly on a bike
- it
was me! And I'd really like to thank the guy who encouraged me up that
horrendous
slope.

        Ok, well having returned from this trip, I'd like to just relate some
more
technical problems I'm having at the moment with the MGB. Firstly, I've been
having
problems with the petrol vapour return to the carbs. The problem has been that
the
fuel (not just vapour) has been sucked up through the system and is ejected out
through the front of the system. I recently had to replace the petrol tank and
think the problem is with the vapour return tube out of the tank. Even with the
tank 1/3 full, we were able to blow bubbles back into the tank. Surely the
vapour
tube should go to the top of the tank and therefore only collect vapour. Am I
right in saying that the tank is faulty? - or maybe I have the wrong version for
my '76 vehicle. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

        Other than that, my only other concern is a tapping sound from the
engine -
it sounds just like a tappet is not set correctly, but this has been checked. My
original diagnosis would be that one of the valves is sticking, but I think I
would
notice a significant loss in performance, and the car runs really well. If it
were
a valve sticking, should I carry out some serious repair, or is the ticking
fairly
harmless so that I can leave it without bother. Maybe I should also do some
checking
to see if it is something else? I have also yet to do a compression test on the
cylinders - waiting to borrow a tester from a friend.

        Ok, I think that is all for now. Oh, does anybody know of any
up-and-coming
events on the central east coast area - I'm really keen to go to a few now that
I'm
suitably mobile.

        Cheers,

        Paul.