Re: Cool/heat? carbs

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cool/heat? carbs
From: "Andrew C. Green" <acg@hermes.dlogics.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1992 15:02:37 CST
-Scotty (paisley@cme.nist.gov) writes:
> Is it ok then too?  I really am just speculating on all this and would
> like to know what the engineers at Triumph were drinking, uh I mean
> thinking, when they designed this setup.

No, "drinking" is the operative word. Speaking from my Cambridge Engineering
Department days, we would always toddle off to the pub at lunchtime for a
pint or two of the finest bitter, and at Last Call (about 1:30 p.m. was when
the pubs closed for the afternoon in Cambridgeshire, if memory serves), we
would totter back, a line of men darting across the Trumpington Street round-
about, to work until 5:00 or thereabouts. The 15-minute break at teatime
(3:45) gave us an afternoon refresher, and when work let out, we'd pop home
for a quick dinner and meet our friends at the pub in the evening. The pubs
reopened at 6:00 p.m., though most people didn't appear until about 7, after
the dinner dishes had been washed. This was fairly typical for the rest of
the country, and on some days one might justifiably wonder how they built
any cars at all that way. Now the pubs are open all day...

I should emphasize that England is not a country of alcoholics; we British
stick to it and on occasion have been known to turn out a fine motorcar or
two. Cheerio! :-)

-- Andy