Curchill hub pullers...

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Curchill hub pullers...
From: jtc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (James A. TenCate)
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 92 09:46:36 -0600
Ian writes:
>Subject: Churchill hub puller replacement
>
>I was pondering the pulling arrangement provided by the $450 Churchill
>hub puller.  My half-shaft is still kicking around the living room, so

If I'm not mistaken the Churchill device is a *hydraulic* hub puller
which implies some sort of mechanical advantage.  There's a book called
6-tech (or something like that) which discusses making an adapter
flange similar to what Ian described.  The author goes on to state
that he's still only had about a 60% success rate even with big,
strong, 4 arm pullers.  The TR-6 owners of our local club toyed with
the idea of pooling our money and just buying the Churchill tool.
I think TRF actually sells it too.  (Perhaps it would be cheaper
getting it straight from the UK.)  Has anyone out there SEEN the
Churchill tool in action?  My hubs will eventually go bad too and
I'm thinking ahead...  TRF wants LOTS of $$$ for their rebuilt hubs
(too much for my tastes...)

jim