Re: Triumph Emissions tuning?

To: DANIELS@LMSBV2.TAMU.EDU
Subject: Re: Triumph Emissions tuning?
From: whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 12 Nov 1992 13:33 EST
>kristian@cs.uchicago.edu writes:
>>      I am going to be helping a friend get his '75 spit  passed
>>the Illinios smog test.  He failed last time for too much CO.
> [...]
>>      - frozen air pump
>          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>The air pump is the most important asset towards reducing CO in a
>catalyst-fitted auto.  In order to turn the CO into CO2, the catalyst
>requires a source of oxygen.  The air pump adds air (and therefore oxygen)
>to the exhaust between the manifold and the catalyst so that the converter
>can do its job.
>
>Lee M. Daniels - Laboratory for Molecular Structure and Bonding - Texas A&M

But not all catalyst equipped cars have air pumps...the TR-8 and TR-7
with electronic fuel injection do NOT have air pumps.

Now my Isuzu trooper with F.I. does have an air-pump, however.

Just curious.
Note - If email replying to me with an automatic addressing process
bounces, manually address the resend using one of the addresses below.
Bill Sohl (K2UNK) BELLCORE (Bell Communications Research, Inc.)
Morristown, NJ             email via UUCP      bcr!dancer!whs70
201-829-2879 Weekdays      email via Internet  whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com