New method for one-person compression test

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: New method for one-person compression test
From: paulg@cme.nist.gov (Paul Gilders)
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 92 16:55:53 EST
Well, on Saturday I attempted to conduct my first compression test on
my MGB. Having asked Scott Paisley about the procedure, I followed his
advice, took all the plugs out and pushed the compression tester with
its rubber seal into no.1 plug. I stepped around the car, put the gearstick in
neutral
and started the ignition. I hear an interesting hiss and then a clunk.
Hmm, I wonder what happenned? Anyway, under the bonnet I see that the
compression tester has been pushed out. I read the compression and see
30 psi - ok. So, being the incredibly wise and thoughtful engineer
that I'm supposed to be, I decide that what I need to do is push the
compression tester in better - yep, that'll do it! So I go ahead and
repeat the procedure. This time I get a similar, but far more
impressive hiss, a delay and then a clunk. Hmm - this isn't as easy as
I thought. I step out of the car and see the compression tester lying
on Scott's TR6. Fortunately for me, Scott had left his wonderfully
well padded cover on his car in an effort to protect the glorious
paintwork from idiots like me, so the 2 metre leap didn't cause any
damage. Anyway, I read the compression anyway - 75psi - not a bad leap
for that. So I then figure if I can make the compression tester clear
Scott's TR6 and land on the neighbour's GM whatever, then the
compression on no.1 should be adequate?? Maybe not. I think I'll wait
until I can get Scott to hold the device in for me - not quite as
exciting though is it?

Paul.