going ons, TR6 prep in progress or regress...

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: going ons, TR6 prep in progress or regress...
From: paisley@cme.nist.gov (Scotty Paisley)
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 93 11:31:33 EDT
First, some misc replies to the going ons...

"James A. TenCate" writes:
 > Roland writes:
 > >Is it just me or are the majority of top-down LBCs to be found on public
 > >roads these days TR6s.  Are TR6 owners just more hip?  Do TR6 drivers
 > >have more fun?  Or do I just live on the wrong side of the tracks?

[...] Must be the hip thing.  Yeah Hip, how 'bout it Roland, one TR6
for an AC Cobra.  The Gas tank doesn't have rust! (We won't talk about
the rest of the car.  :-)

 > as a 6).  HOWEVER, here in Austin, there are really only maybe 6
 > TR6's that are driven on a regular basis.  MGB's can be found by
 > the hundreds!  Maybe you DO live on the wrong side of the tracks :-)

Roland, I think you live on the RIGHT side of the tracks.  Me bias? :-)

Lee Daniels wrote:

 > Believe me, in 2013 the Miata will be what the MGB is in 1993.

So this could mean that the MGB will be what a Jag XK120 is today!  I
think I'll have start buying out the MGB market in prep for 2013.  :-)

Well, I started replacing the U-joints on the TR6 this weekend.  4
down and two to go (the drive shaft).  Let me just add Dean's comments
on the helicoil tool.  This thing is great!  One of the threads
stripped out on the rear trailing arm (where the hub attaches) and the
helicoil saved the day.  I think it's better than before, actually.

On to the drive shaft!  I decided to remove the trans cover (since my
interior is half out anyway) to ease the bolt removal on the front
flange bolts.  Upon removing the cover, I was presented with the
lovely aroma of Castrol gear oil.  My used trans has a leak.  Drat!
Well, it's not too bad I think.  It's leaking between the gasket where
the overdrive mounts to the rear of the trans.  I believe that it is
pushing the fluid out when the overdrive is engaged due to the oil
pressure building up in there.  Anyway, I tried to tighten the cute
little bolts to the overdrive and they, in fact, were a bit loose.  I
got about a half turn on every one.  Hopefully this will solve the
problem or at least slow the leak down to reasonable.  Someone
mentioned that permatex has a sealer that you spray on to stop leaks.
Anyone tried this stuff?  I would like to try that before replacing
the gasket.  Can I replace the gasket without removing the trans by
jacking trans up off the rear mount and removing the O/D as a unit?
Do I need to remove the rear flange from the trans?  This doesn't
sound that bad now that I think about it.  Of course I'm rested now
too!

My wheels should be done this week, and tires can be mounted the week
after that.  The redline oil should be coming soon.  I should have my
new dash bits back from TRF any day now.  I'm sure I'll find lots of
other fun things to do.  :-)

Cheers,

-Scotty