morris follies

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: morris follies
From: "Chris Kent Kantarjiev" <cak@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1993 15:27:37 PDT
As if driving two Triumphs 2100 miles without trouble wasn't enough
(more on that when I finishe the report), the Morris decided to act up
when we got home. It had been fouling the #3 plug lately, and in the
rush to get off to VTR I was just cleaning it and running on it. Last
night, enough was enough, and that didn't do.

So John Lye and I started looking at it. The engine was only running on
1 and 2; 3 and 4 were carbon fouling and smoking. Pull the air cleaners
and discover that the front carb's piston is stuck down. Apparently the
engine was running off the rear carb only, and the mixture has ended up
rich enough that 1 and 2 get a close-to-right mixture while 3 and 4 get
overly rich. Don't know how long this has been going on, since I hadn't
had the air cleaners off yet.

We fix that. 3 and 4 still won't fire. We get dinner while puzzling
about all the causes. After much mucking about, we swap in a used set
of NGK plugs from the GT6 that look to be about the right size and all
is better .. chalk up another vote against Champion plugs.

(Speaking of which, what's the standard NGK plug for a 1275? I put
BP5ES in because that's what I had handy... the Champion was N11Y,
which I think is two ranges off the normal N9Y, though I can never
remember if that's hotter or colder).

"Find hidden power! Use both carburetters!"

Ahem.