Silicone Grease

To: British-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Silicone Grease
From: (Blair Engle) <engle@martechpop.physics.fsu.edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 93 13:40:32 EDT
Dow Corning Silicone Grease has many uses.  It works great as a rubber
lubricant and although liquid soap works ok, I like S/G better for helping
with the installation of rubber bushings.  Remember that it is not designed
as a bearing lubricant, and will therefore not work well on rotating shafts
where heavy loads are exerted.

A use I discovered many years ago, and one that I am sure is little known
is that Silicone Grease is excwellent for burns, if you apply it
immetiately. Some years ago I had a friend who was a glass blower, and
although he always had S/G around his lab, he would not believe my stories
about now good it was on burns.  One day when I had stopped by for a "cup
of", he inadvertently grabbed a hot piece of Pyrex that he had just removed
form the flame. It was very hot (Pyrex, unlike glass does not glow even at
the melting point).  I grabbed a jar of S/G and smeared it on his hand.  He
could not believe the soothing effect, and the next day he had no
blistering or discomfort.  If you have some around the shop, keep it handy
for burns.

Press on regardless,

Blair Engle,  '50 TD, '53 TD
Blair Engle                         internet: engle@phy.fsu.edu
Dept of Physics                         tel: (904)-644-3770