Re - Car Wax

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re - Car Wax
From: GAKNUTSON@delphi.com
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1993 22:05:39 -0400 (EDT)

Jerry -

>  I hear that the miracle silicon stuff soaks into the
>  paint so that you can never really get it off or touch
>  it up.

   In defense of silicon "wax", I have been using it on my LBC car for
years and have no complaints.  Many people at shows compliment me for
the cars finish, even tho the paint job is ten years old.  I believe the
silicon "wax" fills in the fine scratches and makes the car really shine!
I use Liquid Glass, and no, I am not a distributer.  There is a solvent
I use to remove the sealant enough to do touch up, it's called R-M Wax &
Silicone Remover, 900 Pre-Cleano from BASF Corp.  If I do not use the
solvent, the touch up paint will ball up and not stick.
   A careless autoshop worker scratched the paint off a fender one time
and it had to be repainted.  I do not know if they took the fender to the
metal or not, but that was six years ago and there have been no problems
with it bubbling/peeling or anything.  Also, most people I have talked to
on the question of a repaint tell me it is best to remove the paint to the
metal even if you are going to repaint the same color - therefor - no big
deal about the silicone "soaking" into the paint.
   I am very satisfied, and now use it on my new Villager van, and would
recommend it to anyone!

Later - GAK

gaknutson@delphi.com

        _______   __   __  __   __           Wind in my hair
         ___     ______     ____             Shifting and drifting
        ___     __  ___   __   __            Mechanical music
       ___     __    ___   ____              Adrenalin surge