Acid in Silicon Sealer

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, joeg@sr.hp.com
Subject: Acid in Silicon Sealer
From: GORIN_JOE/HP5300_A0@opnmail2.corp.hp.com
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 93 18:52:00 +0000
Larry Snyder asks:

> Does anyone have a suggestion for a sealant for gluing/sealing
> the transmission cover to the body?  I want to make sure there
> are no leaks here.  Someone said that silicone sealer has acid
> it in? Help?

Normal RTV silicone rubber is made with acetic (spelling uncertain)
acid, as evidenced by the strong vinegary odor.  I don't know much
chemistry, but I do know that that acid attacks copper, such as
wiring, quite effectively.

You can buy Dow-Corning 3145 RTV adhesive sealant, subtitled
"non-corrosive, room temperature curing silcon [sic] rubber."
It costs well over $10 per tube, and may be hard to find.  My
experience with it is in protecting high-impedance electronics
from condensation; in that case, it works very well and does
not attack common materials.

--Joe Gorin    joeg@sr.hp.com