TR7 Front Bumper Shapes (2?)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, joeg@sr.hp.com
Subject: TR7 Front Bumper Shapes (2?)
From: GORIN_JOE/HP5300_A0@opnmail2.corp.hp.com
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 93 22:21:00 +0000
Have any of you TR7/8 owners noticed that there seem to be
two different shapes of front bumpers produced?  Parts suppliers
have different part numbers for convertible/fixed-head applications,
but I think I have noticed both types of bumpers on both types of
cars.  The difference is that the good ones are well-sculpted to
the body, being parallel to the black dress piece above them as
it curves around the sides of the car.  The bad ones are about
1.5 inches lower than the trim piece at their rearmost point, and
wider than they need to be by a similar amount.

For a full-color picture of what I am talking about, see the good
picture of the aqua car on page 2 of Victoria British catalog
TR.10, 1993 summer, a TR7/8 catalog.  The bad is shown on the
back cover of the same catalog in the white and red cars.  There
is a side-by-side comparison on the inside back cover.

Of course, mine is the ugly kind.

Questions:  why are there two types?  What is involved in making
a bad shaped one into a good shaped one?  (These bumpers are
covered with black rubber, as TR7/8 owners know.)

--Joe Gorin   joeg@sr.hp.com   '80 TR7 with ugly front bumper