Re: Sprite Roll Over Bar

To: angusg@spider.co.uk (Angus Grossart)
Subject: Re: Sprite Roll Over Bar
From: phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1993 11:30:03 -0500 (CDT)
Angus Grossart writes >

> I am presently fitting an "Ally-bar"

Is this a brand name?

>rollover bar to my 1960 Sprite.  I have some questions to ask:
>
> 1) There are only six bolt holes drilled on the bar at the base where it
> attaches to rear bulkhead.  Will those six bolts be sufficient to take a
> "normal" crash?

Yes.  Be sure to use Grade 5 bolts at least 3/8" diameter. The bolts
should pass through the plate on the bar, the car body, AND a backing
plate at least as big and thick as the one on the bar.

> 2) The rear boot(trunk) stays have no bolt holes drilled. Is that sufficient?

NO!  You must drill your own holes and bolt through to backing plates,
just as on the base of the main hoop.

> I can imaging if travelling forwards, the boot will take the impact and stop
> the bar folding?
> If the car turns backward would the bar not fold over the occupants, since it
> is not attached to the boot?  How strong is one of these bars when only
> anchored at the base.

Anchored at the base only, it is virtually worthless.

phile@stpaul.gov