Trunnions on Spitfire, GT-6 and Lotus

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Trunnions on Spitfire, GT-6 and Lotus
From: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1993 08:37:43 -0600 (CST)
I have just heard a report of a lower trunnion snapping on a Lotus 7.  Are
all Spitfire, GT-6, Elan, Europa and Seven (Lotus and Caterham) lower
trunnions the same (yes, I know right and left are different)?

When I was rebuilding my front suspension on my 1970 Europa, I looked over
the lower trunnions closely.  They seemed essentially unworn and exhibited
no noticeable play on the spindle screws.  The fact that they hold up the
car and take the majority of the cornering force and are made of brass
concerned me.  Now that I have seen some references on british-cars list
and lotus-cars to sudden breakage,  I am downright terrified.  Is there a
substitute?  Am I overreacting?  How common is this, really?  Did Alford
and Alder do something really stupid here, or are these rare occurrences?

- Scared in Saint Paul

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans St, Saint Paul, MN  55107-2676
h (612) 224-3105  w (612) 266-6244    phile@stpaul.gov
"What could go wrong?" - Big Bird