RE: British Cars Digest #988 Tue Nov 2 01:15:01 MST 1993

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, igeta@ars.ntt.jp
Subject: RE: British Cars Digest #988 Tue Nov 2 01:15:01 MST 1993
From: Dave Van Horn <davevh@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 93 15:19:54 TZ
| 907 is based on Vauxhall unit as the old twincam head atop Ford's.

I think not.  I believe the 900-series engine (variants of which are
used in all Lotus cars from 1976 to the present, except for the  new
Elan) family is an original Lotus design.  Some early testing was done
with the 907 head on a Vauxhall block as a convenience, but that's all.
 Unfortunately, that developmental expedience created this false legend
which has persisted ever since despite the factory's denials.

| 907 has been mounted on most of the modern Lotus:
| Elite, Eclat, Excel and Esprit.

Sorta.  Later variants got new numbers (912, for a while).  I can't
remember what the current number is -- 912?  922?  -- but it's higher
than 907.  The 907 was the first, however.

Dave Van Horn