Re: Re: engine balancing

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, twakeman@apple.com
Subject: Re: Re: engine balancing
From: RadsickT <radsickt@lablink.ple.af.mil>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 93 14:47:50 PST
TeriAnn writes:

>Before balancing, the crank should be magnafluxed, ground down if necessary,
>and
>polished.  The pistons should be fitted to the rods with new small end bushings
>(reamed for proper clearence.
>
>What they do (asumming they have dynamic balance equipment):
>They weigh the rod piston assemblies and take metal off three untill all four
>weigh exactly the same.

I would have to differ with you on this small point.  Though perhaps things are
different with LBC's, on the LG(erman)C engines I have rebuilt the pistons are
all weighed with the piston pins installed.  All pistons are then lightened to
match the lightest one.  Rods are end balanced: the big end is set on a fulcrum
and the small end is set on a scale.  Again, all the small ends are lightened to
match the lightest small end.  Repeat with the small end on the fulcrum and the
big end on the weight.  After that, the procedure is as you described.

BTW, on the VW engines I have rebuilt, I always used a counterweighted and
counterbalanced crank instead of just the counterbalanced stock one.  Is there a
need to do something similar to a GT6/TR6 crankshaft?  I'm sure someone out
there has rebuilt a few TR6 engines.

One final note:  I know a few of you out there have some experience in either
"hot rodding" a TR6 engine or converting a GT6 to a TR6 and then hot rodding
that engine.  If you had time, could you outline what you did; what performance
mods, what cams, what timing and what carburation you used; etc.  I am about
ready to disassemble the engine and take it to the machine shop and would
appreciate any advice or examples I can follow.  I would like to be able to
barely pass the CA smog test if possible.  Post to the SOL or private if you
don't want to increase the S/N ratio on the list.

Oh, One more final note:  I have one of those engine stands from Harbor Freight
(Big, Orange, Steel, Made in China) and I am wondering if I can safely hang the
6-cylinder off of it.  There are a whole bunch of bellhousing to engine bolt
holes but I am wondering if just 4 of them (the qualtity of support arms on the
engine stand) will hold up the engine without damaging it.  Any advice?

Tim "Clueless about this front-engine, water-cooled stuff" Radsick

P.S. :  Scott, what exactly is this book about?