Re: Armstrong Shocks

To: Christopher Ball <triumph@io.org>, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Armstrong Shocks
From: lupienj@wal.hp.com (John Lupien)
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 93 15:21:07 EST
> My Healey (64 3000 Mk.III. Phase 2) is riding very low. (Just imagine eh?)
> No, I mean very low, and it's the rear shocks I think. Are any of you
> vintage racing types using thicker fluid to firm the lever shocks up
> a bit ? If so what are you using?  If I have to replace the units I'd
> rather convert to Konis or the like. However the "original" freak in
> me is having trouble with the idea.

I don't see how thicker fluid is going to raise the ride height any.
Maybe it will take longer to settle, but it will settle to the same
point. If you are riding too low, it is typically because of a reduced
effective spring constant at the affected corners. Note that some shocks
have springiness incorporated (gas shocks, usually, or some actually have
a spring inside) - are lever shocks like that?

--
---
John R. Lupien