racing advice

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: racing advice
From: Will Zehring <WZEHRIN@CMS.CC.WAYNE.EDU>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 93 15:34:17 EST
Greetings, fellow lovers of that which is horribly out of date:

This being my first venture out on the net I thought I would start with a
stupid question that is likely to start a few arguments.  I have been doing
a lot of thinking about getting into club and/or vintage racing, and wonder if
there is any advice out there regarding the selection of a car.  My interest is
not to set the land speed record but to have fun and extract some more pleasure
out of this hobby.  I have had extensive experience in the rebuilding and
restoration of MGs and have a weakness for BMC cars.  I am looking for
something that will be reletively economical and most of all fun.  My thoughts
are bugeye, midget mk IV, spit or GT6.  Any advice?  Comments?  Horror stories?
As you can see, I am looking at the low end for beginners, no AC's, sevens
or MkII Jags just yet.  Anybody out there race and have some advice on a
first effort?

Many thanks,
Will Zehring
'63 M.G.B