gt6 diff stuff

To: uunet!autox.team.net!british-cars@uunet.UU.NET
Subject: gt6 diff stuff
From: cdenzler@sierra.com (Christian R. Denzler)
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1993 15:30:40 -0800
A while ago I replaced the diff on my gt6+, and I promised to post the
story. (well, better late than never.)  I was having a pretty strong
vibration from the rear end, and had tracked it to the diff.  I shopped
around the Seattle area for a junkyard diff, and found some for $275, and
some for $350.  I looked into the local differential place rebuilding mine,
decided they were scum and would rip me off, and took my chances with a
junkyard diff.  I pulled mine out and found it to be a 3.27:1 ratio. (not
stock for the overdrive model, which should have a 3.89:1)  Since I drive
it on the freeway a lot, to work, I decided no way was I going to be able to
live with the stock ratio.  The 3.27 gives about 3000 RPM at 60-65 mph,
which is about perfect with my motor mods.  The stock one would have cruised
500-600RPM faster at the same speed.
   Unfortunately, the $275 yard only had the 3.89s, so I spent $350 for the
3.27.  (there has been some debate recently on which is the rarer diff, up
this way it is the 3.27)

While apart, I decided to have my road spring re-arched.  This was a mistake,
as when I went to put the spring back on, it just wouldn't quite fit without
divine intervention.  So I spent another $30 to have it arched back the way
it was so I could put it back together.  In the process of arching and
rearching, the spring aparrently lost some of it's temper on one side, and
now I sag more on one side than the other.  :-(

Anyway, I needed to get the Triumph on the road (since all my 'murrican cars
broke about this time)  so I put it back together with the old spring and
managed to strip one of the rear lugs putting a wheel back on.  I could
feel the threads *just* beginning to let go, so I called it good for now and
ordered some new studs for the rear.  (all were looking a little shaggy)
  I also ordered up a rear spring. (should have done this in the first place)

So over Christmastime, I get to install the spring, lugs, and have my lower
vertical link bolt holes bushed.  These have gotten ovalled and sloppy on
the right hand side (there's got to be a 'clunk' in there somewhere),
and hopefully that will be the last time for awhile that I have my rear
apart.

Since I wound up being in such a hurry to get the car back together, I
scrimped on my plans for doing the Insulite foam trick that Chris, Larry,
and others(?) have done.  I wound up using some spray foam in a can to seal
my trans cover.  It sortof worked, part of the problem is my cardboard
is too ratty in places.  Now I only get fumes when I rev the car to 5000
going through the gears.  (?)

                               - Chris