Rear-end clatter

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Rear-end clatter
From: Ian Macky <imacky@us.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 94 17:37:11 PST
Hi all, I'm back from Oz (ostensibly for Gramma's 90th)...  lots of summer
fun (Heron island snorkeling, Brisbane XXXX quaffing, Roo feeding (not since
I was a tyke)) and the like; saw an actual cricket game at the Gabba!)...
blah blah.  Now I'm back....    and....    my damn rear-end still clatters!

I pulled off the wheel and tried to locate the problem.  Shock mounting &
shock links are fine (old but not shot).  Exhaust mounting is fine.  RH hub
is getting worse...  I think I'm gonna use those BTC wrenches and try to
snug it up a bit.

As far as I can tell, it seems to be the output bearing on the diff.  That
is, I can grab the the halfshaft right by where it exits the diff and move
it side-to-side (and up-down) quite a bit (like 1/8"), enough to elicit a
slight klunky noise even with just awkward hand pressure.

There should be NO play at that point, right?

The diff's really worn and is #1 on my list of Most Needed Fixes; looks like
my hand is forced again?  (@#^$@*&$)

Am I in for a diff rebuild?  A local BritFix shop recommended Gear Works
in Hayward for a local rebuild (instead of shipping to PA).  Said they did
good work but were slow.  Any other Bay Area ideas for local work?

--ian