Re: Stag Engines

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stag Engines
From: Glenna Hall <ghall@hebron.connected.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 1994 21:59:46 -0800
Last month during the short thread about Stag engines, Tom Jell
mentioned he was on the 4th engine in his Stag.  As another Stag
owner I'm curious about what I have to look forward to.  I
suspect the other Stag owners would like a respite from the
antics of the more mundane members of the family.  So Tom, could
you describe what happened that lead to each rebuild?

In my case , it started off with an engine that had a obvious
ticking sound that  to most observers was a valve/tappet problem.
Well, after many expensive and fruitless attempts to find the
source of the ticking, a corroded cylinder wall was discovered --
quite by accident, for the professional efforts at eliminating
the ticking created problems that dwarfed this original source of
concern.  The corroded area on the cylinder wall was crescent
shaped -- just like you would get if a fluid had not quite
covered the piston.  It would seem that coolant had been left to
stand in the cylinder after a blown head gasket.  The corrosion
was deep enough to require resleeving.  When I started to take
the engine apart, one of the timing chain tensioners was so far
out it was cocked down at a 45 deg angle.  I feel a very dramatic
demise to engine #1 was only seconds away.

Tom, what's the variance on your 35K miles/engine average?
Maybe I should think of selling in about 30K miles.

                              -- Richard Hall