Re: Auto Parts Club

To: cobra@cdc.hp.com
Subject: Re: Auto Parts Club
From: sfisher@megatest.com (Scott Fisher)
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 94 09:34:15 PST
> > my "Better Living Through Chemistry" shelf and noticed a 1725
> > alpine parked there.
>
> God, you mean Brit car types hang out there?  Maybe I should
> reconsider becoming a member.

It's a necessary place for buying supplies, large tools (such as
floor jacks), things like oil and cleaners, and the like.  As a
parts house, it's great if you've got a 1980-up GM/Ford/Chrysler
or Japanese car.  (I'll have to reinvestigate for the commuter
now that I've got a member of one of those categories.)  But for
shop towels, hand cleaner, cases of Brakleen, and the like,
Britcars certainly don't need special varieties.

For Britcars, they are mainly noteworthy for having the best local
price on cases of Castrol GTX.  We comparison-shopped at Costco,
the Price Club (before they merged), and Auto Parts Club and found
the best oil and filter prices at APC.  Good prices on tires that
I wouldn't buy except to put on a car I was selling, too, but then
I'm a serious tire snob.  And additionally, I saved about $8-10 on
my floor jack by purchasing it at APC instead of CostCo or Price Club.

In short, it won't replace O'Connor Classic as a place to walk in
and buy a Lucas 2M100 starter to get the '71 MGB running again, but
they're just around the corner, and APC is a great place to save
enough on stuff you use all the time (hand cleaner, kitty litter,
rags, shop paper towels, and the like) that it's worth a visit.  And
I suspect that it's probably an even better resource for those of
us who have more generic commuter vehicles.