Re: Log books (NOT RADAR)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Log books (NOT RADAR)
From: Andy Ashworth <tcsaca@aie.lreg.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 94 14:04:31 GMT
Ray Gibbons asks about the british log book. The log book is basically a
document identifying the car, e.g. make, model, colour, body style, chassis
and engine numbers, date of first registration. It also details the name
and address of the registered keeper (NOT owner!). The old log book has
now been replaced by a form known as the registration document (V5) issued
by the Driver and Vehicle Licencing Agency who keep all these details on
computer.

On change of ownership both the new owner and the old owners are
supposed to inform the DVLA of the change but it doesn't always happen. My
mother once answered the door to find two policemen enquiring why her car
had been reported as used in a robbery - she had actually sold it two months
before!!.

The important thing about the registration document (and I think the log book)
is it does not prove ownership - pretty pointless really!

Hope this answers the questions

Andy.

Andy Ashworth
Lloyd's Register                        email:  tcsaca@uk.co.lreg.aie
29, Wellesley Road                      Phone:  +44 (0)81 681 4040 ext 4510
Croydon                                 Fax:    +44 (0)81 681 4839
CR0 2AJ