GT6 progress

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: GT6 progress
From: RadsickT <radsickt@lablink.ple.af.mil>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 94 10:49:34 PST
Hello all,

I finally decided on a plan of attack for the GT6mk3.  I asked a bunch
of questions a while back about hot-rodding the GT6 engine, but I have
decided on this plan instead:

1)Get frame and suspension together
        -use old shocks and springs for now
        -paint frame, a-arms, etc with black urethane enamel
        -get new stainless steel brake lines fabbed (or do myself?)

2)Get diff rebuilt/ rebuild tranny myself
3)Rebuild hubs, brakes, bearings, etc.
4)Put everything above on the frame so I have a rolling unit.
5)Put body back on frame so the Security Police don't yell at me
6)Prep body for paint
7)Paint w/ metallic BRG Urethane Enamel
8-infinity) assemble car
infinity+1) cheaply rebuild old engine to stock specs
infinity+2)look into performance engine, springs, shocks etc.

Well, that's the plan -- anyone like to comment on its worth?

Currently I am trying to accomplish (1)-(4).  The Frame is painted,
the A-arms were in the oven last night to cure the primer -- next warm
day I will spray them black.

As for (2), I tried to go down to British Frame and Engine and talk to
Ken Gillanders (?) about rebuilding the pumpkin and the tranny.  The
address directed me to a home in suburban Los Angeles -- complete with
a Chevrolet Cavalier or some similar car in the drive.  Had there been
a MG or Triumph, I most likely would have knocked, but the Chevy made
me think, "Is this the right place?"  My reasoning tells me that (1)
there is no "BFE shop" per se, and (2) Ken just works on cars in his
garage.  Is this correct?  Can someone out there give me the scoop on
what exactly BFE is all about?

More GT6 info:  I recently received my membership in the TSSC and my
catalog from Triumphtune.  Neeto!  The TSSC packet was big and had
lots of "TSSC stuff for sale" flyers with it.  The Triumphtune catalog
seems especially valuable, offering info on GT6 engine swaps and
suspension upgrades.  I knew on first glance that the GT6 needed to
have the front dropped about an inch, so now I know that someone makes
springs to do this.  Is there anyone in the states who sells the
Triumphtune suspension stuff?  I know that Triumphtune sells MOSS
stuff but does MOSS, USA sell Triumphtune stuff? (MOSS never sent me
their catalog, BTW, even though I asked them twice -- is there some
secret I don't know?

As for fabbing my own bubble flare brake lines, is this possible or
even desirable?  I planned on just measuring the length of the old
lines, determining the appropriate fittings and then getting a shop to
do it all for me. But if I could do it all myself for about the same
price and quality...hmmm....  Anyone have a feel for what it would
cost me to (a) get a shop to do it or (b) do it myself?

Again, thanks for your input, and robbing a line from R. Fulgham...

Tim "Everything I learned about LBCs I learned from the SOL (and from
staring blankly at the unmarked parts scattered in my apt.)" Radsick

Famous Last Words, Aug 1993:
Brent:  "You gonna take pictures and mark everything?"
Tim:    "Yeah, for any complicated parts... but this car is so simple
that I should easily remember which part goes where."

(ooops!)