MGB Fender Removal

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB Fender Removal
From: "John F. Kolb" <"DLV1::RACERX"@YMV5.YMP.GOV>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 1994 7:09:05 -0800 (PST)
Louis asks about MGB fender removal...

I have removed the LF fender from my 1969 MGB because it was crash damaged.
Unfortunately, doing so revealed more serious damage than expected, and
coupled with the departure of my roommate put any work on the B on hold in
favor of the Midget, wich actually runs.  So, here's my $0.02

1) Remove the front bumper and grille.  In my case, these were removed by
whatever the PO hit !  It may not be absolutely necessary to remove the
bumper, but that gets it out of the way.  If the car has an air-dam fitted,
you probably have to remove it as well.

2) Find where the sub-harness for the headlight bucket joins the main harness.
On my car this was clipped to the same cross member that holds the hood latch.
Carefully separate the bullet connectors (don't just pull on the wires, you
might pull the wire out and leave the connector !). Clean them up while you're
there.

3) Repeat step 2 for the turn signal.  (Excuse me, turn indicator)

4) There are three (?) POSI-Drive (similar to Phillips head, but just different
enough that a Phillips will work poorly and mess up the heads) screws at the
bottom of the fender.  The heads are exposed, so they may be quite rusty. Use
plenty of penetrating oil and a vice-grip if needed.  I had to resort to a
drill bit.

5) Windshield removal ! Yes, you must remove the windshield, as the pillar
anchor passes thru the fender (oops, wing).  Way up under the dash are two
bolts and a smaller machine screw.  The machine screw holds a spacer in place
while the larger bolts are withdrawn.  Check a manual here, I did this about
four years ago, and while certain parts are crystal clear (those stubborn
screws in part 4) this is a little fuzzy.  Repeat the bolt removal on the
other side and (preferably with assistance, you don't want to drop it) remove
the windshield.  Now is a good time to inspect/seal/replace the windscreen to
body seal.

6) Remove the bolts along the rail from the cowl to the front of the car and
down around under.  If memory serves, there is one hiding up almost under the
cowl in the top corner of the wing, perpendicular to the firewall (oops,
bulkhead).  When putting the wing back on, put this one in first, but not
completely tight, while you fool with the fit-n-finish.  There may also be a
couple from the foot well out.  Remove the vinyl panel and see.

7) If desired, remove the splash shield from the inside of the wing.  This
will come away with the wing if you don't care to remove it now, but when
refitting, I leave it off until the wing is back on, rather than trying to
fit the wing with it in place.

8) Inspect the front of the rocker panel with the wing off.  This is a
notorious rust spot, as water/gunk slips past the splash shield and sits
in here doing bad stuff.  Inspect/grease the front suspension.  It will
never be easier than with the wing off. (Unless you remove the suspension
completely.  Haven't done THAT yet, but will someday.)

9) As always YMMV. IMHO.  Carpe Diem. Safety First, Last and Always.

JKF - Kolbj@ymv5.ymp.gov - 1969 MG Midget that runs, 1969 MGB that doesn't
Vague memories and reminises of the Author Alone, if I recall, Senator.