Re: Land Rover bibles?

To: tgilbert@husc.harvard.edu, LRO@apple.com, list@apple.com,
Subject: Re: Land Rover bibles?
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 94 09:33:02 -0800
In message <Pine.3.87.9401302114.B27850-0100000@husc4.harvard.edu> Terry Gilbert
writes:
> Hello again:

bulk removed (wants to purchase a Land Rover and is looking for books on the
subject)

> And what else is out there that is a "must-have"? Thanks in advance for
> your responses.
>
> -- Henry Stevens
>
>   /~~~~~~|~~~~~~~\      |     Henry_Stevens@bmugbos.org
>   |______|_______|    |       c/o tgilbert@husc.harvard.edu
>   @==============@    |
>   |(@) [####] (@)|    |  present: '64 MGB Roadster - "Safety Fast"
>   | o  [####]  o |      |  future: Land Rover LWB Stn Wgn - "Best 4x4xFar"
>  =======~~~~=======   |
>   {%}   ~~~~   {%}    |  The views expressed here are mine, not those of
>   {%}        {%}      |  the person whose account I'm using to express them.

Henry, I haven't seen a Land Rover book worth purchasing except for the factory
manuals and the factory parts book.

The profiles & such that I have seen have nice pictures and provide a bit of
history but after a few days of bedside reading will probably gather dust on the
coffee table.

If your looking to purchase a LR to go with your B, look about, and ask
questions to this group about the condition of the LR your looking at before
spending your $$.

I think Dixon or someone is hanging onto a guide for purchasing Land Rovers I
wrote a while ago & it may be supplimented with other net.wisdom by now.

Must haves? Oh how about a good set of tools, good sturdy jackstands, a good
floor jack & that sort of thing.  Most books seem to be ether written by someone
who wants to be a car romanticist or historian.  The technical ones seem to be
written by people who are master mechanics who don't bother with telling you
anything more helpfull than  "Step 3 fit the bearings and hub to the axle.  Step
4 fit the brakes to the back plate.  Step 5 fit the brake drum to the hub and
adjust the brakes. done"

Sorry, I seem to be deep ending this morning. Must have been from my weekend
experiences of discovering my MGBGT's pushrods are a different length than the
manual says should be in them.  Therefore the new one I had shiped overnight to
me was about 4 inches too short. and my BGT still remains grounded with a broken
pushrod.

Could be because I spent the weekend trying to mate my late TR3A instrument
panel to the wiring harnes, noting that the three books I have showing wiring
harness diagrams all somewhat disagree with each other, and none showed the
heater circuit.  The one sentence I found told me to connect the lead from the
heater rheostat with the ring connector to the hot side of the wiper switch.
Well both the heater lead and the wiper switch are original to this car and the
ring connector is too small to fit on the terminal screw of the wiper switch.
It had to have gone somewhere else when it was installed by the factory.

Arg I suspect the person who said I had masochist tendencies was probably right.

TeriAnn

TeriAnn Wakeman             One of these days, I'll be old enough that
twakeman@apple.com          people will stop calling me crazy and start
LINK: TWAKEMAN              calling me eccentric.
408-974-2344        TR3A - TS75519L, MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, 109 - 164000561