Re: Success, no wait . . . HELP!!!

To: MGHering@world.std.com, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Success, no wait . . . HELP!!!
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 94 09:18:43 -0800
In message <Pine.3.89.9402150825.A508-0100000@world.std.com> Michael G Hering
writes:

stuffing deleted

> We watched the head.  Then my brother noticed that the oil was
> flowing from a hole in the back of the head!!!  This hole is
> about 3/4 of the way down the head, and on the left side as you
> face forwards.  It looks like a 3/4'' bolt would fit in it.  Does
> anyone know what this is?  I assume it is some sort of access to
> the oil galleys, and should be plugged with a bolt, but I can't
> figure it out from my manuals.  The engine is a rebuilt one from
> TRF, so I am going to call them next.  Did they forget to plug
> this hole, or am I supposed to have connected something there?  I
> don't remember there being anything there on the old head.  Is
> this why the rockers are completely dry?  i.e. is the oil flowing
> out the oil that should be going up to the rockers?
>

>                                         Michael Hering
>                                         '67 TR4A IRS

You have the snawer in your post.  the threaded hole does provide access to the
head oil passages, and yes the oil on the floor is what was supposed to be
lubercating the rocker arms.  Yes a bolt goes there to plug the hole.

RULE # 264  Anytime you do anything to a car that opens up a fluid passage, look
under the car whenever you first fire it up.  I learned that one from dealing
with canister oil filters.  I'm canister oil filter impaired.  Been putting them
on cars since I was 16 (My first car was a '55 Ford) and still can't get them to
seal the first time 50% of the filter changes.

RULE #265  Anytime you pull the head or rebuild the rocker arm assembly, fire
the car up with the valve cover off and look to see that each rocker is getting
oil.  This can take way longer than you think it should (which is why you use
addembly lube when building up a rocker arm assembly).  If you don't get good
oil flow within 5 minutes on a new engine, you had better find out why.

Take care & I wish I were as far along as you.

TeriAnn

TeriAnn Wakeman             One of these days, I'll be old enough that
twakeman@apple.com          people will stop calling me crazy and start
LINK: TWAKEMAN              calling me eccentric.
408-974-2344        TR3A - TS75519L, MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, 109 - 164000561