Wire Wheel Swap & Parts MGB.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Wire Wheel Swap & Parts MGB.
From: bobj@meaddata.com (Robert Jones)
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 94 15:55:30 EST
Hi again, I've been lurking for a while, but as spring seems to
arrived and I've gotten my MGB out a couple of times so I've had lbc on
the brain for a couple of days.  A guy in our local club has a parts B that
I am probably going to buy tonight, primarily for the pollution
controls, but I need a few other parts as well.  One of the other
things I am considering stripping off and putting on my car is the
wire wheels.  How much work is that?  The rears seem like they would
be pretty easy, just swap axels, but the fronts may be more work.

I looked at this car last fall, when I was about to move and didn't
want to deal with it, but I think the splines looked like they were
decent.  I am leary of the spokes and the strength of the spokes on
a car that has been sitting for a while.  Am I opening myself up for a
lifetime of expense with wire wheels.  I live about a mile from Dayton
Wire Wheel, but at $150-$250 per wheel for total restoration, I may just get
them sandblasted and painted instead.  Would this be penny-wise and pound
foolish (don't answer that TeriAnn :-)?  How hard is it to replace
spokes yourself?  I've done it on a bicycle, I assume it is similiar.

I'll probably have a bunch of parts for sale shortly (I live in an
apartment and I want to strip it, and use it or sell it, and get the
junk left hauled away reasonably quickly) so if you need anything let
me know.  It does run, the body is trashed, I'm hoping the gauges all
work and if they do they'll be for sale.  A complete list will be
forthcoming as soon as I know what I've got.

Any advice about wire wheels would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

p.s. ScottF, I realize I can't autox it with wires, but so far I've
autoxed it three times and it was broken for extended periods shortly
thereafter, so until I decide to really rebuild everything I probably
won't be racing it.