Re: Removing front hub grease caps

To: jey@frame.com (Jeff Young)
Subject: Re: Removing front hub grease caps
From: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 1994 12:48:12 -0600 (CST)
Jeff Young writes>

> The threads don't actually matter much, since the grease cap is
> less than 2 threads thick.  I've used everything from bolts to
> wood screws.  Anything handy that fits in the hole without too
> much room to spare.
>
> The pounding w/ screwdriver does work, but it bangs them up pretty
> good and can be quite frustrating.

We are talking about Spit/GT6/Europa front hubs here.  Here is what mine did:

I figured (keen judge of Murphy's various laws that I am)
that any dust cap with as deep a wall as this one was NEVER going to come
out whole by pounding or prying.  I recalled the way I was able to remove
the wire-wheel Spridget dust caps by using a slide hammer to apply the
force in the proper direction in the first place.  I have a
couple of cheap slide hammers they sell for light dent-pulling.  I did not
recognize any threads in the hole in the dust cap.  The standard fitting
for the slide hammer is a sheet-metal screw.  I inserted the end of the
slide-hammer and stared turning the handle to lock the screw into the hole.
Surprise!  Before I got the screw all the way in, the dust cap started to
move.  Sure enough, the sheet-metal screw had bottomed on the end of the
stub axle and removed the dust cover with nary a whack required from the
slide hammer.

Sort of like the thrill you get whilst using a left-handed drill to make
the hole for an easy-out, and the drill removes the broken bolt all on its
own.  :-)