Re: British Cars Digest #1120 Tue Mar 1 15:15:32 MST 1994

To: Douglas.W.Phillips@williams.edu
Subject: Re: British Cars Digest #1120 Tue Mar 1 15:15:32 MST 1994
From: tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil (Marcus Tooze)
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 94 09:26:46 CST
>     And now for a bit of trivia. I understand the obscene jesture used by
> American drivers (but NEVER by the SOL), involves the use of a middle digit.
> In the U.K. the same gesture involves other finger(s). Which are....?

Ah yes...the classic American response to 'I-can-do-what-I-want-on-the-road'
idiots...the 'FINGER'...

AKA the 'Birdy'.

In the UK, this one finger gesture is gaining in popularity
because of the crude conatations associated with it...and of course it's
AMERICAN...so we brits love it, not that we want anybody to know we love
all things 'mercun.

The classic british response to an idiot in a hottted up Ford Capri or MKI
Escort (the british versions, NB, the person whos driving is usually 17 years
old) cutting you up is the 'V for Victory sign' reversed, carried out
by propelling the fist with the two (index and middle) fingers extended,
straight upwards, in the direction of the crappy Escort (or whatever).
You can sometimes catch this gesture on re-runs of 'Are You Being Served'
on PBS most nights (10pm CST, 7.30pm(?)EST)....when Mrs. Slocum (yes, thats
her name), is pissed off with Cpt. Peacock.

Marcus 'Aren't those British SOooooooo cute' Tooze