Re: LBC Mirror Placement

To: British-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: LBC Mirror Placement
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 1994 17:16:34 -0500 (EST)
The theory has been advanced that placement of fender mirrors was dictated
by where it was easiest to reach up and put the nut on the stud.  Probably
so.  I think someone also suggested that the fender mounts were used
instead of door mounts because it saved removing door panels.  That's
probabln not right.  For use on doors, Lucas made a mirror with a head
identical to the fender mirrors, but with a mounting post that attached
via two sheet metal screws.  I suppose they could be used on fenders where
access to the back is restricted, but I think the post shape is different
and they might look funny on fenders.  Reproductions of both are
available.

In the 60's I installed stud mount mirrors on the fenders of my 61 Ford
Anglia, because they looked nifty and were very effective once I got used
to the convex glass.  I installed a screw mount Lucas on the door of my
Chevy-engined 49 Willys Jeepster (Cheepster?) because it looked more
appropriate than the rocket ship styled mirrors that were popular at the
time.

Ray "I remember when these old buckets (and I) were new" Gibbons